I admit it, I am a real dog lover, in fact my 3 rescues have the ability to make me smile at least once every day so like me, if you have pets at home, you know the challenges the holidays can bring to our beloved furry friends.
We all love to decorate our house for the holidays and are attracted by the bright colors, lights, baubles and bells but unfortunately, as I am sure you are well aware, so are our pets! Whilst we are happy to merely look, our pets explore by chewing and tasting, and worse still swallowing them!
Those stunning little ornaments once in your animals gut will result in illness ranging from slight diarrhea to an explosive bout of vomiting. Even worse, the object can become lodged in the bowel and if left untreated immediately can end in fatality.
Another hazard associated with the holidays is poisoning. Accidental death from toxin exposure can be a common occurrence at this time of year as poinsettias and mistletoe are toxic to cats and dogs. Even the liquid that we use to hydrate and preserve the Christmas tree contain chemical agents that can cause illness. Please also don’t forget chocolate, even a small amount can be deadly. So sharing your holiday treat with your best friend is not an act of friendship at all!
Inviting your family and friends to enjoy your holiday feast is of course what the season of giving is all about. However, sharing it with your four legged friend will only result in you giving him/her a bout of vomiting and diarrhea especially when their system is not acclimated to such richness.
Finally be aware of those extra electrical cords that may lead to wonderful, blinking lights! Anything new will encourage your pet’s natural curiosity. Please don’t think it can’t happen as ask any veterinarian and they will tell you how many cats or dogs they have treated with severe burns or neurologic damage from accidentally chewing on an electrical cord.
You’ve heard the saying “curiosity killed the cat” well it applies to all of our furry friends at this time of year, remember it is an exciting time of the year for them also so keep them safe.