I must admit, I cannot go to bed without straightening the cushions on my sofa, I also HAVE to make my bed in the morning and I am sure I am not alone. It’s not that I am a neat freak but if my house is a mess then I feel a mess. I can’t focus and don’t feel relaxed, in fact no matter how tired I am I will have to tidy-up before I can sit down and relax in the evenings.
So knowing that our outside world represents our inside world and the state of our home can effect our whole state of mind, what can we do around our home to ensure that it creates a positive environment for us?
- You can begin by tossing out any trash, things that are broken and anything you haven’t used in the past six months.
- Throw away old magazines and newspapers.
- Organize your closet, throw out any clothes you haven’t worn in the last 6 months.
- Organize and clean your kitchen cabinets, throw away any mugs or plates that are old, chipped or don’t match.
- Get your laundry up to date and put away.
- Clean the windows, dust and clear counter tops.
- If something is broken and you haven’t fixed it, then get rid of it, if you are not prepared to bring it back to working condition then you no longer need it.
- Remove all items that no longer make you feel good, only surround yourself with positive things.
Maybe you might like to consider painting. The color of your walls can have a significant impact on your mood. Bright colors such as yellow will leave you feeling energized whilst blues and greens can create a calming effect. Whites create space and make rooms feel airy whilst deeper hues lend themselves to a cosy vibe.
I love plants. Bringing the outside in with lots of plants around the house creates a feeling of openness and the out doors. Plants also provide natural purification so are a healthy addition to your home.
Change your filters regularly, knowing you have done your best to ensure you are breathing air that it is not saturated in allergens will improve your energy levels.
Whatever it takes, keep your home environment free from clutter and your car too, you will be surprised the difference it makes.