Take a look around your home, whether we like it or not, there is always at least one area that fills up with books, to-do lists, magazines, mail and so many other items that we think we may need to come back to. Too often or not though it is a desk or table that should be utilized for a very important purpose : work!
Remembering that our desk is not a storage area but a work surface can often be forgotten, so here are some tips for paving your way to a tidy and creative work space.
- Go through drawers and remove everything that you do not need on a daily basis.
- Purchase some drop-in drawer organizers with lots of slots to keep pens, paper clips, stapler, scissors etc.
- Clear the desk surface take a look at everything on you desk and ask yourself, does this item have a purpose? Do I use it on a daily basis? Am I keeping it because I need it, or might need it? If you might need it, when? Did I remember it was there?
- Remove anything that you have not used in the last week.
- If you are not sure what should stay and what should go, take everything off your desk aside from the absolute essentials i.e. your laptop and phone. Put the rest into boxes. The items you need to go about your work will make it back onto your desk, however, everything else will stay in the boxes. After a couple of weeks, any items left in the boxes should be discarded or filed.
- Digitally save documents and shred the paperwork.
- Opt for natural light – research has shown that working near windows can improve your sense of well-being.
- Enhance your space with a favorite plant – according to the a journal published by the American Society of Horticultural Science in April 2017, even one or two indoor plants can have a huge impact on your health and happiness.
- Purchase some cable boxes to get power cords and plugs out of sight. Cable clips are also a good option for keeping the cords neatly in place. Ensure you put chargers, headphones, and power adapters away when they are not in use.
- Now that you’ve cleared your space of clutter, clean it!
Give your desk a fresh start and notice the difference in your productivity and creativity. Maintaining a clean, tidy and organized workspace will ultimately set you up for success.